6 to 8 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Soaking time: Overnight
Cooking time: 2 hours
1 cup dried red kidney beans (see note)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced, about 1 teaspoon
1/2 pound mushrooms, wiped clean, sliced
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes with added puree
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 small zucchini, ends removed, sliced
2 red bell peppers, seeded, chopped
1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, to taste, seeded, chopped
1/2 teaspoon each: salt, freshly ground pepper
1 package (10 ounces) each: frozen corn, frozen lima beans
Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1. Put red beans in large bowl. Add cold water to cover. Let soak overnight.
2. The next morning, drain the beans. Put beans into a large pot and add
fresh water to cover. Heat to boil; cover and simmer until almost tender,
about 1 hour. Drain.
3. Heat olive oil in large dutch oven. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir
1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook until slightly browned. Stir in drained
beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and chili powder; heat
4. Reduce heat to simmer and add zucchini, red peppers, jalapeno peppers,
salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about
5. Stir in corn and lima beans; cook until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with crushed red pepper flakes if
NOTE: One can (16 ounces) red kidney beans, drained, can be substituted for
the dried beans. Omit steps 1 and 2.